Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:16:47 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
I was told that this info was needed due to a very sad situation in
someone's home but not which forum was discussing it, so I am copying
here.  (I just got on line minutes ago; I've been dealing w tonsillitis
for over a week now and the fevers and length of time dealing with this
now have me sleeping a lot.  (I am allergic to some component of general
anesthesia so we avoid surgery when possible.) )  Anyway, here is what I
sent to her:

Re: Campylobacter: Usually when this happens the person fed raw or
slightly cooked, not realizing the risk factors, though it could have
been from contaminated water.

There are a number of things that be caught from raw feeding of pets.
Even Intestinal TB has been listed as an emerging veterinary disease in
several U.S.  states due to more people feeding raw foods.

What makes it worse if that campylobacter is also thought to be a
causative agent for some serious autoimmune diseases such as Guillian-
BarrE syndrome and reactive arthritis.

If you look at some of the past discussions on raw feeding you will find
this tackled and you will find a lot of links that I don't have time to
find now.

Here are basics and some more in relation to humans and in relation to
the bacterial genus: mode of transmission, prevention, etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/campylobacter_g.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol5no1/altekruse.htm

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap4.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000224.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no1/engberg.htm

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2005/new01212.html

More can be found in

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

There are 833 results

if you Google

Campylobacter ferret

so you may want to pass on these links, the raw feeding (or undercooked
food feeding), contaminated water, and later autoimmune disease risk in
a message to these folks.

For a similar organism also look up
"Proliferative Bowel Disease" ferret
or