From:
daring_daisy_do <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:16:14 -0500
> daring_daisy_do <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: How many ferrets in Shelters?
>
>One question I have because of the responses that I have read regarding
>the numbers in shelters is simple.  What is a: Permanent Foster,
>permanent resident or Unadoptable Ferret?"

I should have clarified this in the first post I made about this subject.

Permanent Foster.  I can understand this concept.  A ferret with Special
Needs is placed in a Forever Home BUT the medical costs are covered by
the Shelter.  This is a great thing!  The Special ferrets has individual
love and care, her new Family has the financial assistance to make sure
her needs are met and the Shelter has a free cage and more time to tend
to the healthy ferrets.  All in all a Great thing!!!  Everybody WINS!!!

My frustration is mainly with the term I see being used, Un-Adoptable.
I don't understand that term at all.  The ferret may have Special Needs.
He/she is elderly, sick, a non-surgical candidate, or have behavioral
issues.  BUT there may be a home that would love and cherish her!  Why
close that door to her because of her Special Needs?  As I said in my
first post about this, it may be harder to place these Special Needs
ferrets, BUT IT CAN BE DONE!

I have received numerous e-mails from FML readers who say they have run
into that problem.  They inquire about a ferret that has caught their
eye, just to be told that it's Un-Adoptable.  Reasoning I am hearing:
it's old, it bites, it's sick.  So, IMO, the Shelter verifies that the
Adopter can handle the financial and emotional issues of that Special
Ferret.  Special Needs Ferret may find that Forever Home.

All our ferrets are Special, just some more than others.  I wouldn't
trade either of my older, Insulinomic and Adrenal Ladies for anything in
the world.  Every day I Thank the Shelter who allowed us to Adopt them
and Love them for however long they will remain on Earth.  My Ladies
are as much of a blessing and adventure as a young, healthy kit.

Lynn Love
The Love Zoo