From:
WENDY HOCHMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 22:37:51 -0700
Over the last week or so there has been a bitter dispute against the
women who is selling here ferret supplies on e-bay.  It seems to me that
the major issue is the money.  Most animal shelters I know of charge a
adoption fee.  County Owned shelters will charge a flexable charge
depending if the animal is fixed or intact.  No matter what items were
dropped off with the animals orginally the adopting family only gets
the animal.

The ferret shelter here in Jacksonville, NC will accept cages along with
any ferret that arrives at the shelter but due to space the cages that
arrive with the animals are placed in storage and the ferrets are housed
in cages that are uniformed to fit the shelter space.  When a potiential
adopter visits, they are offered a chance to purchase one of the used
cages vice purchasing a new cage.  The cage and supplies are not included
with the adoption.  Most of the time the ferret owners keep their orginal
set ups to either sell or give to someone else.

It seems to me that the shelter is more upset that there is a possablity
of ferrets finding a new home and someone else getting the money.  The
only difference between adoption and a sale is the Tax Break.

A few months ago I was informed of a sailor who was looking for a home
for his two ferrets because he was being shipped out.  Trying to help
out a fellow sailor I offered him $150.00 sight unseen even.  I didn't
hear anything back for about a month.  When I questioned the person who
informed me about the ferrets she told me the guy was upset about my
offer and figured that I was offering low becasue I already had a ferret
set up.  So I asked here to find out what he felt was a fair price.  I
was floored when she told me $350.00.  It turned out the guy belonged to
the SCA and he wnated to purchase a new sword.  I clearly stated that
this was BS.  I told her to let the guy know that he would never get
that much for anyone.  I then gave her a list of items to deduct.  From
what I understand the guy setteled for $150. from someone else.

People around here are advised that if they need to find a place for
their pets due to deployment to ask a fee to ensure that anyone
responding will be looking for a family pet and not something to abuse
or re-sell to our local puppy mill or worse.

Another issue was the comfort of our beloved fur kids.  One of the
biggest problems with humans is human nature.  We try to give everything
humanity we like or love from our pets to our cars.  As much affection
and loyality my pets show, they are still animals.  The cage that houses
my six pack has shelves that I covered with rich blue carpet.  It's blue
because I like blue.  They don't give a rats behind what the color is.
The only thing they care about is that the bowls at the bottom of the
cage are full, clean bedding and litter.  I will admit that they are
like children, you can buy them the best toys in the world but in the
end they will have more fun with the box.

One of my ferrets could have his own palace but he will never be happy.
His orginal owner was a homeless man who lived in a alley.  Yes he has
a good home here compaired to a cardboard box and a homeless shelter
living off of scraps gathered from a dumptster but he has never accepted
us as his family even though his brother has.  When we move back to the
wildlife refuge I'll be building a indoor/outdoor compound just for the
ferret but Montana will never be happy because he had such a strong bond
with his human.

Don't get me wrong I love all my fur kids and would never part with any
of them but I neither do I perscute others who decide to place theirs up
for adoption.  All but one of my ferrets are from shelters.  One is from
a ferret shelter, two from a cat shelter and two from a county animal
shelter.  I have already decided that in a couple years when my fur
family has dwindled down in number I will be purchasing a Angora Ferret
from either Carolina Ferret or from Parrots of the World (Denmark stock).
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack becasue I'm purchasing a ferret
vice adopting one but form what I understand there are no angoras up for
adoption.  paying $300 + tends to make people a little more commited.