From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:57:36 +0000
Recently on a Yahoo list someone from a "shelter" posted about wanting
help in shipping costs for shipping items to "ferrets in New Orleans".
When I posted back to her suggesting that she contact FedEx and UPS and
see if they are offering discounted rates on shipping for donations she
blasted back at me that she has as no car, she can't afford to, blah
blah blah major drama.  I asked her why should we need a car to contact
UPS or FedEx and she blasted me for sticking my nose in, basically.

I found this rather odd as I was merely giving her a suggestion.  I
haven't met any "shelter" people that aren't open to suggestions as I
know they appreciate every bit they can get!  Then I asked around the
ferret community about her as well as checked out her website and found
that she isn't a real "shelter" and also breeds and sells dogs (which I
found rather ironic).

So I guess the point of this email is to be wary of those that you extend
help to.  Bonafide shelters - that are in it for the ferrets - and not in
it to make money - is where the help is truly needed.  Verify that they
truly are what they say they are.

Laura and The Seattle Seven at http://www.ferretocious.com