From:
Thomas Beckner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:01:34 EDT
I can partially answer this question, as I work for one of the
largest apartment management companies.  Certain states, counties,
municipalities, etc.  have restrictions on types of pets, breeds of dogs,
exotics and so forth, however the owner of the house, condo, or apartment
can set their own guidelines at will.  The company I work for as early
as a few years ago, let any restrictions be property specific.  However
in 2002, they revised their pet policy nation wide to restrict 9 breeds
of dogs, and ALL exotic pets.  Now the clincher is they (property owners)
get to determine what is or is not exotic.  Basically, at our
communities, the only pets allowed are dogs, cats, birds, & fish.  They
have deemed any rodent, any reptile, ferrets, chinchillas, rabbits, and
everything else normally considered as exotic, -exotic.  Let me say that
I have argued this rule for the past three years.  I have shown them
articles, facts from the CDC (about dog bite statistics)emails, you name
it, to no avail.  Of course having two of the 'bad' dogs, and 15 ferrets,
it only stands to reason that I would viemently oppose this.  I wish I
had better news for you, but the sad fact remains, that we are at the
mercy of the property owner.  In the eyes of 'FAIR HOUSING', which
governs renter discrimination, pets are not covered except for service
animals.  The best we can do is educate the owners to accept animals,
even if it is on a case by case basis until they understand, that more
often than not, it is owner neglect, that leads to animal damages.  Good
luck in your house search.  You might want to try www.peoplewithpets.com

Tom
Kodiak & Winnie-Chow Chows
Colby-Maine Coon  Cat
Kodo, Podo, Ickobod, Monte, Snickers, Zander,Scooter, Doralee, Darby,
Lily, Laurel, Fanny, Dale, Simon, & Huckleberry -Ferrets

Please help animals in need due to Hurricane  Katrina.... Please....

Log on to

<http://www.noahswish.com/>
or
<http://www.hsus.com/>