Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:56:27 -0700
Just wanted to post to everyone about how my new "diaper disposal" item
is working to control odors in my ferret room, since many have privately
expressed to me they have a difficult time getting the litterbox waste
odor in the trash can under control. . . .

I recently purchased on ebay a used Diaper Champ diaper disposal system
(similar to the Playtex Diaper Genie but mine doesn't require special
disposal bags) because I was trying to find some way of reducing the
litterbox waste smell and poopy paper towel odors in the regular trash
bin I was using.  It was becoming a pain to have to empty the trash can
every single day and even with a standard cover on the rubbermaid trash
can, the odors just kept seeping out and it was esp.  awful with this
heat wave we've been having here in the Seattle area.

I tried "masking" the smell with air fresheners but often they just made
the trash smell like 'flowery poop' - UGH!  (But now I use the Pure
Citrus spray for a light citrus scent and it works great!) I also I have
a small but not extremely efficient air purifyer going 24/7 in the room
as well but it just keeps the stinky air moving around. :-(

Well, here's what I've concluded about The Diaper Champ - it does a very
good job at sealing in the odors and that is really why I bought it.  I
didn't and don't expect it to REMOVE the odors - it's not designed for
that - I just need it to keep the odors sealed off until it's time to
change the trash bag.  So far, I've gone 6 days without emptying the
thing and there's no odor whatsoever!  (The only time I do smell anything
at all is when I have to lift the lid to pour in what I scoop out of the
litterbox because that waste can't go directly down the chute on top,
where diapers would be pushed into and dropped).

Overall, it's performing very well for what I need it to do so if you're
having the same problem as I am, you might want to consider this item or
one similar to it.  Total cost for my used Diaper Champ, inlcuding
shipping, was $24.50 on Ebay and they retail new at Toys-R-Us (and
Babies-R-Us) for closer to $30.00.

Or check out this website and look for the city nearest you . . . .
www.craigslist.com

Good luck!  Jennifer and the furkids with our fresh smelling ferret room
 :-)