From:
Peg Francisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:49:10 -0400
I am not a ferret show judge.  I worked as a ring steward at one AFA show
so I could learn more about how ferrets are judged.  I'm just a regular
(whatever that means!) ferret owner who enjoys the fun, cameraderie and
shopping at ferret shows.

My guys were shown at the Buckeye Bash.  They've been shown at other AFA
shows, as well as "fun" shows.  Sometimes they place really well, and
sometimes they don't.  I usually ask the judges about my scores - high or
lower than I expected, because it's an opportunity to learn.  I find out
that there were some incredibly exceptional ferrets at a particular show,
or I see that my ferrets were a bit underweight, or whatever.  I find
out what I've done right as far as husbandry, and what things I can
improve on.

My experiences overall of judging at ferret shows has been that it is
fair.  Judges go through a comprehensive training course, get tested,
and they get "refresher" training on a regular basis.  Yes, there have
probably been some errors in judging - these are human beings who are
judging lots of wonderful ferrets - yours and mine.

Sure, I love it when my ferret wins!  But there are lots of opportunities
for ferrets to place - at the Buckeye Bash, many of the Fun Events had
only a few entries - my bubba ferret Guinness got second place in the
Cup Tip for knocking over ZERO cups - only two ferrets were entered!

Anon, your ferrets are winners, just as mine are.  Every ferret who has a
loving home is a winner.  Ribbons and trophies look nice but the love my
ferrets give me is the best "prize" I ccould ever have.

Sincerely,
Peg Francisco (owned by the most beautiful ferrets on the planet! in my
humble opinion...)
President, Ferret Education and Reources of Toledo