From:
Anthony C Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:12:40 -0700
>From:    WENDY HOCHMAN <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Like many people here I checked out the e-bay sale for the lot of
>ferret supplies.
>
>If you look carefully they only hoping for $299.00
>
>Instead of condemming the people, offer to help.  Let then know that
>there are ferret supporters out there and that when they find a home
>for their ferrets have them pass on the information of the local
>shelter in case the new home doesn't work.

1) If you price out what they are asking $299 for you can purchase it all
NEW (with free shipping) for approx. $362 (without the ferrets).

2) Two wks ago they flat rejected a reasonable offer for the lot (minus
the ferrets) - not even a "once we find a home for the ferrets we'll let
you know!

3) I've directed them to various ferret resources (without so much as a
"thank you"):

A) TWICE sent links to http://www.rockysferrets.com &
http://www.oxfordrescue.org

B) ONCE sent links to http://www.mdferretpaws.org &
http://somd.com/Detailed/2837.php &
http://www.fothferrets.com &
http://www.baltoferret.com & http://www.ferret.org &
http://www.ferretcentral.org/for-others/database.html

C) THRICE encouraged they post to FML

D) Have sent follow-ups asking about the ferrets, their condition, if
they've found homes yet.  Most emails are ignored.  Most questions,
unanswered.  The only info I know about the ferrets is that they are
older & have "no medical problems" (Couldn't even get response as to
if they have been tested for ADV & come from ECE free home)!  Nor would
they answer repeated questions about why they can't keep the ferrets.

E) I even emailed them TWICE about a friend in MD possibly willing to
take in their ferrets if they gave them the ferret supplies, too.
(Rationale being the ferrets would be less stressed in their own cage &
bedding with their own familiar belongings, rather than being thrown
into a cage with other ferrets).  Neither of us ever received so much
as a "thank you for your consideration but we've already found the
ferrets a home".

Truth be told, I think these folks have had ample help with available
resources to find their ferrets a home.  I think these people are being
exceptionally secretive about everything, and asking an unreasonable
price for their items.

The only conclusions I can draw are that they desire to rid themselves of
the ferrets (either due to pending medical expenses OR relocating & not
desiring to incur expenses of transporting the ferrets OR simply tired of
the time/energy needed to provide for ferrets) and that they are looking
to recover some of their expenses by selling both the ferrets & supplies.

Personally, I can't imagine ANYTHING making me "give away" a beloved
creature I've opened my home & heart to and accepted responsibility for.
If such a situation ever did occur, I'd definately show more appreciation
to those offering assistance and make every effort available to make the
transition as stress-free as possible.

If this sounds like "condemning" than so be it - ample help has been
offered already.  As my friend considering taking in the ferrets said:
"Who wants to pay $299 for the "privilege" of taking in these folks
discarded pets?!"

"Intelligence is like 4-wheel drive.  It allows you to get stuck in more
'remote' places."

~ Garrison Keillor ~