From:
Katharine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:34:36 -0400
I have a novel idea.  Why don't we quit labeling ferrets by where they
came from?  They are all ferrets in need.  I still hear people mention
their "Utah ferrets", their "Hagerstown ferrets", etc.  I'm guilty of
it as well.  For some reason, people feel they are more special because
of their origins.  Maybe we should all just look at them as animals who
need a good home, and not worry about where they came from.

I have some fosters from a nearby shelter.  They are really mine forever,
but are labeled fosters because of their medical/social needs.  The
shelter/vet clinic provides for their medical needs.  I find myself
calling them my fosters, when they really are totally, 100% mine.  I
don't know why I do that but I feel bad every time I do.  It's kinda
like calling them stepchildren.  They are my ferrets, period.

My vet has been volunteering in Mississippi.  He is bringing some animals
out to place (mostly owner surrenders at this point).  He actually has a
waiting list of people who want Katrina dogs, cats, etc.  I suppose if
that helps to get animals placed, go for it.  But, it's kinda sad when
you really think about it.  The local animal shelter is full of animals
needing homes.  Why not go adopt a few of them?  Instead, people suddenly
have room for more when they can say they have a Katrina whatever.

Why don't we all resolve to just talk about ferrets, with no label.  I'm
certainly going to try.