From:
DOOK-WOOF-DOOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:40:25 -0400
Honestly, unless you give to the SOS, does anyone know where their funds
are going?  I very rarely ask for money directly for that reason, I ask
people to purchase ferret related items that they would normally purchase
from a large chain store.  If you would rather give to Corporate American
then a shelter, go for it.  This way, if I am not doing what I am suppose
to be doing, then you still go an item you normally would have purchased
anyway.  I ask people on my web page, if they are donating cash, please
send it directly to my vet with my shelter name in the memo section.
This way, they have the piece of mind, that the money is going to what I
said it was going for.  I also supply references on my web page of people
who have been here and have adopted.  Not many shelters do this.  I did
asked for money this last time for postage.  I DO have receipts to back
up that the items were shipped.  Anyone can see them.  Anyone can see my
current vet bill also.  All you do is simply have to ask..........

This is a concern across the board, not just with my shelter.  Does any
large organization asking for money do what I want with money I donate,
or do they pay high paid executives to run their organization?

Either way, my vet bill MUST be paid and payments must be made on a
monthly basis.  I have my vet information out there for all to see.
Anyone can call my vet to find out whether or not I have an account with
them.  If I don't fundraise and make money, the payment that month must
come out of my pocket.  I can't stiff the vet.  If I don't have money for
woodpellets, food or medical supplies, that money has got to come from
somewhere, guess where, our home account.  If we have a Ferret emergency
and the funds are not there, I have to pay for the issue some how.  Small
shelters put alot of money out of their own pockets, far more then any of
the donations or sale of their items that they make or buy.  I currently
have 37 ferrets in my shelter right now, I would have to adopt each one
out at $100 each (yes even the 6-7 year olds) in order to even remotely
break even right now.  This is far from a Money making adventure.....and
any small shelter will tell you that!

I left the group because frankly, no matter what I said, it was not good
enough.  That is how alot of people operate.  Guilty until proven
innocent.  And honestly, I have ferrets who need me, I can't spend hours
after hours defending myself to people who have never met me nor do they
have a clue as to who I am.  You can even tell me what my house looks
like, so how can you say I am not using the funds where I said I am.  I
certainly do take lavish vacations, or live a lavish lifestyle.  We don't
even have $2500 right now to fix my husband car.  We like alot of shelter
parents live paycheck to paycheck.  And HONESTY, IT IS DOWNRIGHT
INSULTING for anyone to think that we (meaning small shelters) take
donations and use them for other things.  People are constantly having to
defend themselves on these boards.  It is just sickening.  It is such a
waste of time, and so many people have left the ferret community because
of it.  People who are GOOD people.

What this all boils down to is that you simply do not know me/or others
you question, and you are passing judgments BEFORE getting to know me/or
others.  Get to know someone BEFORE passing judgment.............You
maybe surprised, you might like them.  I work very hard at fundraising.
When I decided to start my shelter, and knew I could not obtain 501c(3)
status.  I took $2000 that I had from a previous "money making business"
and invested it into ferret related products to sell at shows.  This
initial investment is what I use to purchase bedding, yarn to make eggs,
and a whole host of items to sell.  I take the profits I earn from each
show, put that on my bill at Horsham and the initial investment gets
reinvested for the next show.  This works for me and keeps my shelter
going.  Do I have money in my shelter account, yeah $6.00 if that.  $4.00
in my shelter paypal account.  And guess what, I need to buy woodpellets
today because I have no more bags left.  Guess where that money is coming
from............

I rescue this simply because I love ferrets.........Not to become a
Millionaire.

Marguerite
From TinyPrints Ferret Rescue

Life is not how many breaths you take, but
how many times it takes your breath away...
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store