From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:21:47 -0400
Today seems to be my day for posting ... regarding Laura's et al.
comments about shelter people who also breed:

I have volunteered at ferret shelters for years, and I know the work and
expense involved - and I only do it part time.  Multiply what I do for a
full week!  24/7, no time off for holidays or R&R, without those blessed
volunteers!  Bless anyone who chooses to be a shelter or volunteer !!!
As to "calling yourself a shelter and asking for donations" - darn right!
I bought two ferrets from a breeder who also sheltered - she used her
profits to fund the shelter.  I also adopted one of the shelter ferrets -
donated the full purchase price for one of her bred ferrets, rather than
the lower adoption fee, because I knew they could use it.  (Interesting
fact: Shelters are strictly regulated in Georgia, regularly inspected,
and have to follow a bunch of rules).  Shelters need help and $$$ - I
don't know anyone independently wealthy who is running a shelter as a
hobby.

As to "adding to the problem" - nonsense!  The "problem" is people buying
mass bred ferrets cheap, on impulse, w/o any idea what they are doing,
or the care needed.  Buying a ferret from a breeder, or adopting from a
shelter, at least people are screened and educated, and the new owner
is offered support and told to bring the ferret back if it doesn't work
out.  The "problem" is never going to go away, but instead of attacking
responsible breeders and shelters attack "the problem" - the mass
breeders who ship 5 week old already neutered babies and the pet shops
who are allowed to treat them like merchandise, who will sell them to
anyone with the $$$.  If everyone were required to take a course, get a
pet license and buy only from responsible breeders, the problem would
probably be 10% of what it is now.  As I see it, every ferret obtained
from a breeder or shelter is one less ferret from a pet store.