From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 08:44:38 -0700
Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally did what I've been
talking about doing for a year or more - I got another, younger, ferret.
We have two ferrets that are almost 5 years old, and I worried what would
happen to the one left behind when the first went to the bridge.  Neither
has any health problems, but I know they're getting older, and am trying
to plan ahead for them.

So, I adopted a 6-month old male.  That's the age the owner who turned
him in gave him, and his behavior would confirm it, even if his teeth
aren't the white shade they should be at that age.

During play time, the three get along very well.  They play in the pipe,
chase each other around the bed, through the maze of toys and all manner
of stuff they have stashed under the bed, climb up to wrestle with us
humans, and just generally have fun.

The problem is "bed time." The new baby has so much energy (I'd forgotten
how rambunctious young ferrets are) that when the other two are cuddling
down in their hammocks, he still wants to play, and wardances on them,
around them, grabs them, etc.  They get very upset with his antics, and
so we haven't let him sleep with them, although he does get some time in
their cage with them before he goes back to his own so they can rest.
After they've rested, and he's rested some, the female will come to the
edge of her cage to where his cage is, and the new guy will come up so
they can rest against each other through the cages.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to integrate them without
traumatizing my older guys.  I know it can be done, and have ideas of my
own, but as this is my first experience adding to an existing business,
I'd love to hear the "do's and don'ts" from those who have done this
before.  Thanks in advance!

This new guy is by far the largest Marshall Farms ferret I've ever seen.
My female (Kissy) is just under 2 lbs, my male (Snuffy) just over 3 lbs,
but the new one (Robbie) is probably over 4 lbs, and long, not just
heavy.  Anyone know if Marshall Farms has been breeding for larger
ferts, or if he is an anomaly?

Thanks, BIG, for all you do.  This list has been a god-send for me,
especially the first time I experienced "sleeping, not dead" and wasn't
totally freaked out because I'd read about it. :)

Debbie