From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:44:21 -0500
Years ago when I lived in a mobile home court a gas line broke and
everyone was suppose to evacuate.  At that time I had 23 ferrets and
3 dogs and a little truck.  There was no possible way for me to get
everyone out.  I refused to leave.  The gas company workers tried to
convince me to leave but I stood strong.  They didn't offer to help move
the animals to safety, which they could have easily fit a few carriers
on the back of their huge trucks, and there was no one for me to call to
ask to help so I chose to stay with my animal family.

Another time a friends husband came during a tornado.  He said I needed
to go to the shelter and because he knew I wouldn't leave on my own, he
and a couple friends helped pack up the ferrets and dogs and transported
us to the shelter.  We evacuated 24 free roam ferrets and 3 dogs in 15
minutes.  The shelter was full so we were stationed in the garage
section.  I remember people in the shelter complaining that I brought
my dogs.  I had stacked the ferret carriers one on top of each other so
they took the room of one person.  Two dogs were glued to my legs and
one in my arms.  There was still room for people to move around, room
for more people.  After hearing the mumblings I started for the door to
leave.  I was stopped and told to stay put by the manager of the court.
The tornado passed directly over us and a few trailers were pushed
around.  After that incident I never went to the shelter again.  I'd
rather stay and possibly die with my animal family than to be safe with
THOSE type of people.  This was my personal choice and I've never
regretted it.  I have to live with the decisions I make just as each
other person has to live with theirs.

Ms. Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org