From:
Bill & Laura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:04:18 -0600
Hi there,

Bill and Laura from the Emmett Ferret Shelter reporting in.  We're a
small shelter outside of Boise, ID and are currently at 12.  We tend to
hover under 20, but with the current trend, we will be growing.  Boise is
now the third largest city in the Northwest and is adding more pet stores
all the time.  Normally we help move ferrets from the Portland area where
they sit at around 70 to our area where demand is still higher than
supply (luckily for now!!) but we are expecting a baby in 3 weeks or
so and are trying not to fill up due to time crunches.  We have a very
reasonable adrenal surgery price of $154 and this helps keeps our costs
down.  All of our vet bills are pay as we go.

Of the last 8 ferrets coming in, 6 needed adrenal surgery and one was
too old for surgery.  One was young and healthy.  If it weren't for our
vet discount we couldn't continue to run effectively.

We're a small shelter, but we cover a large amount of area here.  The
closest established shelters (at least that we are aware of) are over 400
miles in any direction.  If I'm missing somebody closer.. contact us!!
There are a few that pop up and disappear every now and then, but none
in between that have lasted.

Not much else to tell!  Good luck to the other shelters that fall
adoptions will pick up.  I know it's been a slow August for us.

Laura & Bill
Emmett Ferret Shelter 501(c)3
Emmett, Idaho