From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:48:10 -0400
Hurricane damage to shelters is part of what led to the births of
Emergency Love Fund at the International Ferret Foundation that
supplies some needed equipment to shelters during their suffering.

If the name sounds familiar, ELF is one of the two charities that help
shelters which are being collected for in the FML 5000 drive.  SOS
(Support Our Shelters) is the other one.

This could not be happening at a more useful time.  As you know, for
most of the population (but not those in the most extreme North or
South where glacial ice melting tundra pitting, etc. are heat driven)

the big impact right now from Global Warming is not really having a big
enough difference to feel warmer usually (Depending on the location some
areas may be cooler.)  What it IS about at this stage of the game for
everyone is how it affects weather patterns and severity, leading to
lower levels of frozen mountain water in areas where people are dependent
on that water, decreasing rain in some farming areas, and having the
increased energy (heat) in the oceans creating and fueling storms much
more.  A few days ago I was reading about a 2 to 3 degree increase in
the Atlantic, and the effects are really being seen, plus we are in a
double whammy due to cyclical patterns:
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2005/2005-08-04-01.asp
notes that 9 of the last 11 annual hurricane cycles have been worse
than normal and
>Officials with the specialized hurricane service of the National Oceanic
>and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said Tuesday an additional 11 to
>14 tropical storms are expected from August through November.  Of these
>seven to nine will become hurricanes, including three to five major
>hurricanes, forecasters warn...
>
>"Although we have already seen a record setting seven tropical storms
>during June and July, much of the season's activity is still to come,"
>said Gerry Bell, lead meteorologist on NOAA's Atlantic Hurricane
>Seasonal Outlook...In total, this season is likely to yield 18 to 21
>tropical storms, with nine to 11 becoming hurricanes, including five
>to seven major hurricanes...

Here are two addresses with info that can help: The Department of
Transportation Emergency Prep site has been moved!  Here is the new
address:
http://www.dotcr.ost.dot.gov/asp/emergencyprep.asp
For comprehensive hurricane preparation advice, visit
FEMA at: http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18210

WANT TO HELP SHELTERS?

WANT TO THANK BILL GRUBER FOR EVERY DAY GIVING OF HIMSELF TO GET THE
FML TO ALL OF US?

The FML 5000 drive is giving the money to the SOS (Support our Shelters)
and to ELF.  The SOS helps shelters cover needs, especially medical ones,
and ELF helps offset the cost of emergency needs, including in the past
already helping shelters buy needed equipment after they suffered major
hurricane damage.  It is a relatively new project in a very established
and respected charity (the IFC) and hopefully can grow over time.
Putting money into the coffers of the SOS and ELF will help many, many
ferrets and the wonderful shelter people who have those needs.

You get to do two good deeds in one action, and you don't need to give
a lot.  If you can send a large amount then that is wonderful, but if you
can only spare several dollars then that helps, too.  It all adds up!

See:
http://www.geocities.com/imdella/fml5000.html
'Snail Mail' Donations should be sent to:
Judy Cooke
110 Jer-Be-Lou Blvd.
Panacea, FL 32346
PayPal Donations should be sent to:
Make a note that it's for the FML 5000th!

We at the FML are a very marvelous community!  Time and again we have
helped save so many, provided emotional, financial, and factual support,
and simply done a lot of good in this world.  Other internet communities
wish they could do this, but we have the history of actually doing it!
We create and succeed with such opportunities to make the ferret world
a better place.  The FML 5000 members' fund drive is an FML project,
supported by FML members, to honor the FML moderator and help ferret
shelters.  It's hard to get any better than that!  JOIN IN THE
OPPORTUNITY!

Let us all on the FML know when you do so make your donation so that we
can all be happy for each other and proud of our community with each
donation we hear about!  Our own check from Steve and me went out this
week.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives