From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:48:58 +0100
You may recall me announcing recently the arrival of Ollie the
humungousest weezil I ever did see.

In recent weeks he has made several visits to the vet because of a runny
nose, "hyper" sneezing sessions and a persistent "dry" cough.

2 courses of antibiotics later we are not really any further forward,
the first was a liquid the name of which has faded on the bottle label
so I cant read it, but on this he did seem to get a little short lived
relief, as this had not cleared it the vet then suggested we try
something a little stronger (although not licensed for ferrets in the
UK)he has been getting half a Ronaxan 25mg tab per day crushed mixed in a
little ferretone, after 5 days he is showing little signs of improvement,
(and signs of 'tone addiction) and I am not sure what else we can do.

The cough is very similar to that of a cat regurgitating a furball if
that helps anyone pin things down apart from that his chest and lungs
sound clear, he is bright, energetic (spring-loaded), with a healthy
appetite (the reason he is so huge weighing in at 1.1 kilos (a shade over
2.25 pounds... and no he isn't fat..  its all muscle... and body... hes
HUGE!!!!) the ONLY reason for concern is this nasty cough which sounds
awful and cant be pleasant for the poor lad.

Keep in mind that the ferret is a pretty "exotic" pet here (strangely)
and my vet has limited knowledge of them, although she has really taken
to my 2 boys (wait till she meets biteyweezil!).  She is doing what she
can within her limited knowledge and the limited drug availability.  I am
waiting to get him in to be altered, but we have been reluctant to take
this step without a clear idea of what is behind this apparent bad cold,
but she did say if all else fails it may be an idea to go ahead and use
the "quiet time" to do a close exam of his nose and throat, he is a
lively fella and that creates problems for examining him as he wants down
NOW NOW NOW!  (which may give you an idea of how "unaffected" he is by
this), unless of course anyone here has a better idea/past experience of
what is ailing him?

We would appreciate any inspiration from you guys out there, Like I said,
they are keen but fairly *ferret Innocent* at this practice, although
they are at least willing to learn which brings me on to a second
question.

I need suggestions for a decent ferret medical reference, something I
can take with me on vet visits, possibly one that discusses ferret
ailments along with a reasonable description of the drugs recommended
for treatment as there seem to be many differences with the availability
of veterinary drugs over here.  I mentioned this to the vet and she said
it would be a great help, especially given that I have access to such a
font of knowledge as this group!

Feel free to reply directly as I am a little behind in my FML reading...
about 25 days in fact, partly due to Chunky having another abscess dealt
with last week, it could be we were not aggressive enough last time so he
is on a much longer course of meds and this surgery has resulted in a
much reduced lump on his neck... this time there was 3 cc's of a "custard
like" mush in the lump, along with evidence of a fresh wound... again,
over excited play I guess, they are always supervised, more so in recent
months with the new arrivals and the dynamics of the "new" group
establishing themselves, luckily it has mostly been pretty good natured,
especially where Chunkster is concerned, if anything the problems have
been between Ollie and Rhoobarb who even at her senior age and diminutive
stature, considers herself more than a match of any oversized ball of big
headed hob!

Cris & (& unkie Lee - reserve hooman)
 & the kidz -
Rhoobarb (Biteyweezil)  "Chunky" (Lumpychunks)
Princess Lily (Special Baby) & Ollie (TROUBLE!)

Remembering those who stole pieces of my heart
Custard (Cussieangelweezil) my gentle little joker and daddies
snuggleferret

Bubbles, (Da Warweezil) first ferret par excellence and leader of the
furkidz

Skweek (Skweekyweezil) daddies litle earwashing girl and all round little
madam

Called away from this world to dance with the angels at the rainbow
bridge

mailto:[log in to unmask]