From:
jennifer hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:17:38 -0400
Anon posted:
>There is the possibility that my husband and I might have to move to
>the Washington D.C. area in a couple of years for his work.  I believe
>ferrets are still illegal in D.C., but not its suburbs (please correct
>me if I'm wrong) but we would probably be looking at living in Virginia
>or Maryland.  We have heard horror stories about the price of real
>estate in that area so we will most likely have to rent.  We have also
>been told that it isn't easy to find ferret friendly landlords and that
>we will either not be able to find a place to rent that will allow
>ferrets or if we do, our deposit will be non-refundable or much larger
>than the normal amount because of the ferrets.
>
>Weasel-lover.

Dear Weasel-lover,

You are correct that housing in this area is outrageous.  You can
definitely rent from apartment communities without problem.  I have
not had any problems with deposits or being turned down for housing in
Maryland.  I tell them that I have a dog, and that I have ferrets that
are caged (I don't tell them that they have run of most of the apartment
for a few hours every day), and most don't care about caged pets, so you
should be in the clear there.  I will tell you that trying to rent from
private homeowners who are renting out their homes or apartments is a
bit more difficult because everyone has their own opinions formed about
ferrets, and unfortunately, most people are misinformed.

I haven't found the problems with the deposits being higher or
nonrefundable simply because of our ferrets either, some are partially
refundable, some aren't, and that is based on the fact that you have a
pet period and many times the landlords fumigate for fleas, etc after you
vacate.  I really don't think that you'll have too much of a problem.
I've looked high and low for reasonable apartments and our ferrets are
our priority as well, and not once have I been turned down because of my
fuzzies, nor have they tried to change the pet deposit policy on me.

I don't know anything about VA, but I live in MD.  Good luck.

Jen and Archie
The Magnificient Seven Fuzzies
and their cat and dog