From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:21:19 -0500
How a biter is being trained will depend on why they are biting.  I
readily use ferretone as a training aid with biters and it works very
well.  Each time I pick the little biter up I give them a bit of
ferretone, then I gently caress them as they lap it up, then I put them
down and a few minutes later we do it all over again and again and again.
It isn't long before the ferret is looking forward to being picked up.

What this does is associates yummy treat with being handled and also
helps the ferret to learn trust of us humans.

While others may say not to use treats, I have found this method to work
well with the worst biters.  Working with biters is one of my
specialties.

Also with biters, I will reach down and gently touch them when they
aren't paying attention to me.  I reach down quickly, touch, then move my
hand away as they turn and lunge.  I do this repeatedly.  I'm not sure if
they get more frustrated at my touching or my giggling.  What this does
is gets them use to being touched without harm coming to them.  Miss
Hannah use to turn and lunge but it wasn't long before she turned and
glared instead.  We still play the touch game but now it's a game for
both of us.  Miss Hannah was a hard biter when she joined our family
and now she only nips.

Ms. Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org