From:
DookDancer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:35:09 -0600
Sukie wrote:
>The thing about giving fish is that Vitamin E needs to also be given.
>Fish is a truly great source of some fatty acids.  The problem is that
>certain marine fish and mollusks, if given in large amounts, can cause
>nutritional steatis (yellow fat disease), a fatal condition if allowed
>to progress which kills faster in kits than adults, but which is usually
>correctible.

I THINK unless I'm mistaken that the discussion here is raw fish or fish
for a SNACK..  not a debate about it as a complete diet unto itself??
Would extra vitamin E really be necessary for "snack" fish giving?

I know my kidlets absolutely love canned sardines in spring water as a
treat once a week... there's four of them..  and they'd eat the whole can
if I let them..  but I try to divide it into pieces so that they each get
about a half a large sardine LOL Ok... picture this if you will.... I
made the mistake the first time I offered sardines of putting them on a
plate and putting it down for the Collective to help themselves.  BAD
IDEA!  Apparently rolling in it FIRST was the approved dining technique,
causing much chasing around the house after the "fish-scented" ferrets
LOL I now sit on the floor with can of sardines in one hand..  pair of
chopsticks in the other.. and dole it out to the frenzied little faces
as they climb on the "human sushi bar's" lap...

I'm a little leery of feeding raw fish due to salmonella issues, but HAVE
made my own "salmon jerky" with my dehydrator for them, and only enough
that can be used fairly quickly.

DookDancer and The Ferret Collective
"Resistance is Futile"
Barnum and Bailey, Finnegan and Cliodhna