From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 23:10:45 -0400
Dear Sukie-

Somewhere, in the back of what passes for my mind, I have a memory of an
old FML post about how ferrets express dominance.  I think it said that
it is basically really rude for one ferret to hold his/her head above the
head or the neck of another.  Is this true?

Ping and Puma certainly spend a great deal of time trying to determine
which of the two of them is top ferret.  She *does* get in this mood
where she seems to try holding her head above the back of Ping's neck,
and it appears to get on his nerves.Then somebody hisses, I'm not sure
who, and the wrestling begins.  She seems completely unaware of the fact
that he is easily twice her size and weight, twice and then some, even
though she is growing like a weed.  In order to hold her little head over
his, she has to stand on her tippy toes.

He still slams her on the ground from time to time, and scruffs her with
his mouth, drags her around a bit.  But she just bounces back up and
jumps him.  Again.  And again.  And again.  And again...the wrestling
and play-bite matches are energetic and loud.  She seems absolutely
determined to be the boss, and it is hilarious, given that she could
probably ride around in my shirt pocket..

A-