From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:46:11 +0000
Just a heads up that Delta Airlines allows ferrets to be in the cabin
with you as long as they're in a kennel that fits under the seat.  After
calling around it also looks like they are the ONLY carrier in the States
that allows this.

Two years ago I moved cross-country from Fort Lauderdale, FL, to Seattle.
I flew with Jake dog and my three cats in cargo and five ferrets in the
cabin - divided between two carriers.  I had a friend fly with me as
a) I wasn't about to cram five ferrets into one carrier and
b) a passenger can only have one kennel in-cabin.

Though the dog was quite expensive (since he's a Newf/Lab and with
carrier was about 130lbs) the ferret carriers were only $75 each.  I
HIGHLY recommend the solid "cabin kennel" with the wire top.  I picked
mine up at Drs. Foster/Smith online for really cheap.  I also didn't put
food and water in the carrier.  Instead I carried a small bag of food and
dropped pieces in for them and had a small water bottle which I held down
for them.

The ferrets spent about 11 hours in the carrier with our stopover and
they did just fine.  We took them into the restroom in Dallas to tidy up
the cage and I only had to dab up a couple of "accidents" with a paper
towel.  I think the best idea was putting an old tshirt in one and a soft
blanket in the other - the fuzzies just cuddled up and slept most of the
flight.  They were a big hit in Dallas, though.  We must have looked like
movie stars as we had a crowd around us going "Wow what are those?  Can I
pet him?" because I was taking them out one by one and giving them a
little shoulder ride :)

So, in short:

- fly Delta if you're traveling via plane with fuzzies in tow
- use the plastic "cabin kennel"
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm
?pcatid=1024&Ntt=cabin%20kennel&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial
&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1
- make sure the ferret potties before you put em in
- stuff in a soft blanket or sleep pouch
- bring a water bottle, food separately

- Laura and The Seattle Seven at www.ferretocious.com