From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 08:23:16 EDT
Happy Sunday everyone.

I just wanted to share what may be obvious to some.  But this may be
unknown to others.  And it may save your ferrets life.

If your ferret has black tarry poops and is grinding his teeth..an ulcer
is suspect.  One of the things you will be given is Carafate to coat the
stomach.  I was given this.

BUT...I was not told that this is to be given untainted..not mixed with
ferret soup, or given at the same time.  It is to be given 20 minutes
BEFORE the soup to COAT the stomach.

When your ferret is strong enough...have x-rays taken to get a better
idea of what could be going on.  An x-ray is only a 2 dimensional picture
of a 3 dimensional ferret.  But a fur ball or other bloackage or cancer
could be revealed.  The x-ray is important.

The x-rays of the ferret that survived showed bubbles all over the place.
It was unbelievable.

So METOCLOPRAMIDE LIQUID was perscribed.  This is not to be given to a
ferret that vomits.  It is to increase motility.  It is to get rid of
those bubbles of gas so the ferret can fill up that area with nutritious
foods.

I could only dribble down a tiny amount of liquid before Sunny was in
too much pain to take any more.  Now I can SEE why.

The pepsid and an antibiotic were also perscribed.

I think that sometimes vets think we know more than we do.  I had
instructions written.  They did not say the Carafate was to be given
alone 20 minutes before any food or other meds.  But I hope you all
will keep this in mind.

Hope this saves a ferrets life.  I lost Waldo.  Sunny is still hanging
on.  I may have a good 8 weeks more of multiple syringe feedings and
watching him like a hawk.

No new factors came up in our lives.  No moving.  No rescues.  But I had
been in crippling pain, and literally cried out for about 3 weeks.  I
used a rope to pull myself up out of bed.  It took at least 30 minutes
of intense pain.  I lifted my mother the wrong way, and injured my lower
back.

We never think of the effects our pain has on our babies.  I bet it is
possible that a divorce, a death in the family, severe illness of a
family member, or depression over a lost job could also affect our
ferrets.

I am only speculating.  But sometimes I forget how full of feeling and
thought these little ones are.  We have some pretty amazing and sensitive
companions.

I was too late to correct my error with Waldo.  Hope this info saves a
life.