From:
Ann Haager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:03:09 -0500
Hey guys.  We lost our baby Calix back in October and around the same
time two of our other ferts were drastically losing hair (well, one was
only on the base of the tail and the other was all up the back to the
neck).  The two I am referring to are Snap and Gandalf.  Well, because
of all the expenses with Calix at that time, we couldn't afford more
surgeries for these two...so we were talked into trying the melatonin
implants.  We live in Augusta and our vet doesn't do them.  We had given
him information but he wanted to find out more...and that was becoming a
slow process.  So I offered to get them somewhere else and let him see
first hand the changes.  We had the implants done on Oct.  22nd and as of
today Gandalf (the one who lost most his fur up his back) has grown back
all of his fur.  It's still short, but it's thick again.  We have tried
to get pictures at each stage of growth to show the vet.  He is still
pretty lethargic during the day, but at 7:30 pm he is up and waiting by
the bedroom door for me to bring him his gravy.  He's more playful now
when he's awake than he ever was, so that makes me quite happy.  Snap had
lost mostly just a spot at the base of her tail and it took longer to
grow because it just recently started.  We saw the "bruising" from where
the new hair was going to come in.  She was always a fat ferret, but now
she's really fat.  I'm kind of worried that she may be too fat.  It
doesn't seem to slow her down, but she does seem to have a little pouch
between her legs when she's walking.  Well, I guess what I'm wanting to
know is what is this information going to tell my vet?  Is this going to
be enough to prove to him that the implants are good and that he should
get them?  Am I wasting time logging this info?  I've got a long list of
stuff since the first day, but it's all outward appearances...I don't
have a clue what's going on inside my babies.  I guess maybe I'm just
getting depressed the more I think about it.  Both Gandalf and Snap seem
quite happy.  They get their gravy every night, lots of playtime and room
to run (they have two bedrooms of the house).  They get ferretone every
so often, laxatone....a raisin maybe once every two weeks.  We take them
outside, to meetups.  I'm always making new bedding for them to snuggle
in.  I've even fallen asleep on the couch with a few of them playing
around me.  Every now and then one at a time get come out and explore the
rest of the house, the two dogs, and they LOVE to chase the cat under the
table.  They have it made if I do say so myself.  I'm always wishing I
could be a ferret so I could run through the tunnels and beds with them.

Well, maybe I just wanted to tell someone else what we're doing and how
I'm feeling.  Thanks for listening!

Ann