From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:12:34 EDT
Aren't we missing something here?  Any ferret who has come into shelter
via an unknown MUST be QUARANTINED for rabies exposure as well as
possible exposure to other diseases.  After hearing about one shelter's
exposure to rabies a year or two ago, my opinion is that a 30 day
quarantine is essential.  I can't imagine any experienced veterinary
practicioner disagreeing.

During this time it will also allow owners to step forward and claim
their ferrets.  In a situation where an owner was determined, it's
probably a wise thing for the shelter to request to continue a quarantine
on the owners behalf--just in case.

Anne