From:
Carol Krause <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:55:58 -0400
I am posting to say that the lady who angrily posted just needs to take
another look and she just needs a little time to learn how the system
works.  I, too, didn't know what was happening at my first few shows.
My Sparkee Stardust,who ended up AFA Companion Ferret Of The Year in
2003, placed with 2 firsts and a 2nd his first show.  He is a Marshall
Farms ferret.  What the poster doesn't seem to quite understand is that
the Companion Ring IS a Championship ring.  You wouldn't want to have pet
store ferrets judged against breeders,for reasons already posted.  I LOVE
the Companion ring.  It is, in my opinion, the fairest ring.  And pet
store ferrets do really well while they are young,for some reason.  I had
3 go Platinum last year and I have 4 that will go Platinum this year.
The Breeder rings are at least 80% full of ferrets decended from the same
breeders.  The ferrets are stunningly beautiful,but a 1st in those rings
is almost impossible if you have intact ferrets not from said breeders.
It is extremely rewarding when it happens, though.  And it can.  And on
the other side of the coin,my gorgeous Breeder ferret Mama Luvs Mambo
never did really well in Breeder Class, but took BIS in Late Alter in
the York Spring Show.

I am EXTREMELY happy if I get anyone in the top 10 in any Championship
Classes.  It's SO exciting waiting for those call backs.  :)

I love the shows....all the shows.  It is a real shame that the
Independent shows are disappearing.  Politics within the ferret community
have dealt them a hard blow.  I think it's especially sad because
shelters benefit from the proceeds.  This is a bigger issue than who is
winning what, in my opinion.

It has been acknowledged that ferrets are no safer being shown at AFA
shows than at any other shows.  Realistically,ADV tests are good only the
day they are taken.  I am not saying not to do them,so don't misconstrue
this.  But, in reality, the non-AFA shows are being boy-cotted because of
their beliefs more than their practices.  The LOS, for instance, doesn't
require Distemper or ADV testing, although they are now encouraging
both.They clean after judging each ferret, and if you don't participate
in the "fun matches" and keep your ferret to itself except for judging,
you have little to worry about.  Besides, most owners are ADV testing
now, anyway.  As for Rabies.......if you have personally not vaccinated,
then it's on you.....if you have, it's taken care of, isn't it?  One has
to be responsible for their own.

6 years ago, when I started showing there was so many shows, so many
people that hate each other now were friends,and most of all, so many
ferts were being shown.  Shelters were making money, because of high
attendance.

Sable Speciality Class used to command separate male & female rings.  Now
Speciality classes are dwindling,even at the AFA shows.  Many vendors
can't afford to attend because they sell next to nothing.  It's partially
because if no one shows, no one comes, no one sells.  There is another
issue here, but I won't touch on that.

I guess the bottom line is that in-fighting hurts everyone.  It penalizes
the shelters,it hurts the ferrets.  We all are supposed to love and want
to help the ferrets.

I have to add one note here to people who are thinking I am hypocitical
in that last statement.  And this is the ONLY exception with me.  My
vendetta with Marguerite is fairly well known.  It is personal.  Very
personal.  I wish no harm to the ferrets in her care, I never said she
doesn't take excellent care of them,besides playpen run times, but I will
never support HER.  She and her friend Caryn tried to do me great harm.
That's all I will say.  I have documented proof on many things she
said/did,so don't write me how "wonderful" she is, please.  That is only
an opinion.  And we know how much that means to anyone with an opposite
view.All of you out there who choose to support her, fine.  I have no ill
will toward any FERRETS at T.P.  Just to clear that point up.  And I am
not posting anon.  Never have, never will.

Getting back, I wish every one could get along, all ferrets could have
happy lives, and shelters could raise tons of money.  It's hard to try
and ride the middle road with everyone.

Regards,
Carol