From:
Chris Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:24:38 +0100
>I also give Vaseline mixed with Tone as a laxative 3 times a week.

This cannot be good for a ferret, not only does it interfere with food
absorption I'm sure if done for long periods of time will upset the
natural stomach workings.  If people took laxatives 3 times a week they
would soon have digestive problems.  I've never given laxative to a
ferret in the last 41 years and never lost one to a blockage.  Since
1990 my ferret club has been paying for ferret autopsies and I cannot
remember one dieing from a blockage.  That said, most of our ferrets
live in outdoor courts away from dangerous household things that ferrets
like to eat.

As for ear cleaning I only did it when a ferret had ear mites, if a
ferret's ears constantly need cleaning it has a health or environment
problem.  Find the problem and fix it as it's not normal for a healthy
ferret to need its ears constantly cleaned.  They are supposed to have a
slightly waxy appearance and the more you clean it off the faster and
thicker it will come back.  They will clean each others ears; I've even
see whole hobs giving 6 week old kits a good all over cleaning.

Chris