From:
Reginald Wagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:18:54 -0500
HI to all here on the list.  Been some time since I've posted, but
wanted to respond to this one since my husband and I have traveled many
places/distances with our furkids by a variety of sized cars.

With our smaller car we usually have a good sized travel carrier (which
I customize so that there are two levels--one for sleeping and other for
littler box--in back and dining--in front).  Usually we have a cuddle
sack that they use for sleeping in---gives them the security they like as
well as dark.  We attach a water bottle from the outside of the cage (so
it can be accessed for refilling/removal without having to open the cage)
and have the spout through the cage door over the cup that usually comes
with the cage or you can customize again.  Our two love to drink the
water that drips into the cup versus using the water bottle, so a lot of
times we will remove the bottle once the cup has filled some and then
replace it when it gets low.  This also prevents any spills/overflow into
the cage.  Then we just keep the food portion of the cup filled as well.

Now if you have a good size car we purchased a smaller three-story cage
at the local pet store and again customized it so they have an actual
full size cage to travel in with all the amenities of being at home
except just a smaller version.  Only thing about this was that they sat
higher in the car and could see out the windows so it took them a little
bit longer to settle down for the "restful" trip.  To help with that you
could put a cover over the top some to help give a little more "privacy".

We purchased one of the playpens with extensions and mat to use when
stopping for the night.  It works great since they cannot climb it and
according to the way the room is setup, it can be used as a barrier and
just block off an area for them to play in as well (we always put our
own sheet or covering down before they play since it is unfamiliar
territory).  The harness leash is a great idea too.  We did this a couple
times, but unless we knew the area we tended not to let them venture
'cause you just never know what's there or been there and we all know
how curious these furries are!

We've had two sets of 2 ferrets and they both enjoyed traveling.  Kinda
like with actual kids when they are young---like to sleep while the
vehicle is moving but wake up to see what is happening when you stop.
Hope this helps and if you have any other questions please email.

Happy Travels!