Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:48:39 -0700
Questions from a recent posting forwarded to me with a demand I sit down
on my ass and answer! ;-)

Q: "Since everyone is concerned with protein levels, what do you think
about Totally Ferret Baby food for adult ferrets?"

A: Well, not EVERYONE *IS* concerned with "high protein levels."
Certainly, if a ferret is ill, a vet should be consulted before making
dietary changes, but that should be standard for ANY change.  In the
last decade, there has been perhaps a dozen incidences of cystine stones,
maybe up to two dozen, and in that same time period perhaps 10-15 million
ferrets alive (averaging 4-6 million ferrets per year).  Even if there
were hundreds of ferrets with cystine stones during that period of time,
the chances of any one ferret having the disease is extremely remote (it
is an autosomal recessive genetic disease).  If that remote chance
influences how we feed ferrets, then dump your dishwashers and clothes
dryers (I know of at least 20 ferrets killed by them), take doors off the
hinges (I know of at least a dozen ferrets killed by closing doors), and
dispose of kibble immediately (I know of hundreds of oral infections and
choking due to kibble, not to mention the associated insulinomas, dental
wear, and periodontal disease).  I think we have to be realistic about
the problem and treat SICK ferrets, NOT punish millions of healthy
ferrets because of the problems of a few.

Realistically, the chances of a ferret developing cystine stones is FAR
LESS than developing mineral stones, and how many people suggeste we
lower calcium in the diet to prevent those potentially lethal problems?
Kibble itself is a MAJOR problem in the formation of cystine stones
because is it dried to less than 10% moisture, and one of the universal
treatments for cystine stones is hydration.  Ferrets dehydrate rapidly,
and if a dehydrated ferret with cystine problems is on a kibble diet,
well, that is simply asking for trouble.  I'll get back to this subject
in a series of posts on cystine stones and kibble when I can get the time
(did you know a low protein diet with carbs can cause more problems than
one with higher protein?).  I am VERY busy at the moment, so busy I am
neglecting my friends and family, but I'll aim for early November.

Q: "Also, I just got the new formula of Natural Gold, and it has 5%
fiber.  Isn't that too much?"

A: No.  Personally, I think healthy ferrets can tolerate up to 10%
insoluble fiber in their diet, provided the diet is wet and the ferret
has water.  If a ferret eats a mouse or rat, the undigested portions that
make up the bulk of the stool run in at about 5% to 10% of the carcass.
Studies across the board (primates, rodents, ungulates, carnivores) show
bulk and fiber is beneficial to gastrointestinal health provided it does
not exceed (or fall below) evolutionary GI adaptations.

Q: "I don't know what the original formula had, but Rocky couldn't
tolerate it without having really runny, smelly poops."