From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:07:43 -0400
I'm posting the lost ferret tips that I've heard here.

Two great tips to help them from being lost is opening windows that they
have access to from the top instead of the bottom.  And for doorways to
the outdoors put up a plexiglass barrier (low enough to step over)
between the regular door and screen door.

post those flyers everywhere, ferrets can travel miles

alert newspaper deliverers, mailmen, etc - people regularly in area,
children too!

search areas calling his name and squeaking a toy familiar to him

put an extra cage or carrier outside with used bedding and litter in it,
the scent may help him locate home

contact vets, animal stores, animal control, etc

go to animal shelters in person, may not be aware if a ferret is in

check outside vents incase he is trying to reenter home on his own-and
don't use in meantime

check dryer tube, a/c - anything with access from outside

Make sure he's not in the house.  Make a list of ten places inside that
he couldn't be - then check them.  Make sure he's not stuck behind a
bureau or in something.  Even check places like the dishwasher and
fridge.  Don't empty trash or start laundry without being sure.