From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:46:04 -0400
I think I've stopped crying long enough to write this.  Maybe.  This
afternoon I was sitting at my desk just like I am now.  Sebastian was
curled up next to my foot.  Pukka was climbing around on the desk.
Whether I, trying to get her, or Pukka knocked it, I don't know, but
the digital camera fell off the desk and caught Sebastian right in the
stomach.  I quickly scooped him up to make sure he looked ok-- at first
he did.  A few minutes later he started stumbling, then lost contol of
his bowels.  I rushed him to the vet, where they said he was shocky but
couldn't say much more without an x-ray.  They sent me home and said
they'd call with the results of the x-ray.  While I was on the way
back there with my deposit for his stay, the doctor called to tell me
Sebastian had passed away while they were inserting a catheter.

I still can't believe it.  I can't believe he's not coming home.  He
never hurt anyone in his life, why him?  The vet said that, being
adrenal, Sebastian wasn't able to deal with shock well, plus the x-ray
showed a small amount of internal bleeding.  Please, please, don't flame
me.  The guilt I feel at allowing such an accident to happening is
horrible enough.  What is Pukka going to do, he was her best friend in
the whole world?  I have to keep reminding myself that I still have two
ferrets who need love and attention, but seeing Pukka alone in the big
cage is so hard.  I'm going to stop writing now.

Rachel, still in shock