Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 04:15:48 -0400
From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>They said it doesn't absurb into the stomache.So,they can't give.  Tried
>to tell them that petrolem jelly is the base on all laxatives and ferret
>vitamins,the tube kind..

Well, petroleum jelly doesn't absorb/digest -- but that is WHY it is the
base of laxatives and exactly why it WORKS as a laxative.  It is could be
digested it would not work as one.  Which is why fat does not work as a
laxative -- unless way more than can be digested is given but then you
get more those lipid pellets that are seen in birdseed stool than a real
laxative effect.

Check those vitamin tubes again; I don't think you are likely to find it
in those...

Yes, other types of regular maintenance are needed.  If the ferrets
don't dig against surfaces that wear down claws (and most don't) then
claws need cutting.  Ear mites can deliver some serious repercussions;
sometimes a secondary fungal infection can begin and on rare occasion
that can even eat through the bone.  Ears are best cleaned every few
weeks rather than ignored.

There are also tooth brushing/rubbing with an enzyme toothpaste or
other cleaning method, weighing on a regular basis, etc.
---

I am very sorry about your loss.

Necropsies need to be done rather fast with pathology also done.  The
tissue information is rapidly lost -- within hours for some organ,
within 2 days for others.

See:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG10682

-- Sukie (not a vet)