From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:50:11 -0400
I can't recall quite what the upper number of subscribers of FML was at
its peak, but I think it was approaching 3,500.  If so, that is about
1,000 more than now, but the membership tally here seems like it has
been stable for a number of years now.

New folks don't know, but it didn't usually have anywhere near as many
sympathy oriented posts (though it certainly had them) and it had nowhere
near as many ads, even with more people.

Most of the FML was sharing funny ferret stories, sharing a LOT of
behavioral observations complete with stories illustrating them, sharing
health info, throwing people into smiles, tears, giggles, groans, and
replies with ferret songs, ferret limericks, ferret haiku, other ferret
poems, tips, tips, and more tips, etc.

There seemed to be fewer people who lurked, too, though I could be wrong.

Of course, it is up to each of us what the FML is and becomes.  When we
send in our funny and heart-tugging happy contributions those give the
list a lift.  I know that there are a lot of people hear who could share
laughter with us all.  If more such people begin to write in with fun
stuff to share then the balance will change by having a greater portion
of the pleasurable posts.  It's not something that a few people can do.
It will take the quiet people speaking up and sending in their own notes.
Posts don't have to be long but I know that a large number of those who
say little have fine additions to contribute.

Like any place the size of a village we have our range of people and
experiences, but recently a large number of members have gone mum while
a few have been repeating the same things enough times to teach people
to skip their posts, and that combo doesn't help anyone, I think.

Now, that is just my take on it, and I know that opinions here are going
to vary a lot.  I personally would like to hear a range of opinions and I
very, very much would like those who might be inclined to jump too fast
into anger or bad assumptions to listen and express their own opinions
WITHOUT mentioning anyone else's so that it doesn't become an argument
between individuals, and so that different observations, needs, and ideas
can be expressed freely.  I think a very good start has been made in that
regard and that the next step for at least some of us (like me) who have
spoken our pieces will be to listen to the usually quiet people if we're
through on this topic.

(Of course, I am just speaking as an old fart who has been here for the
life of the FML so has seen many iterations, even when it was small
enough that it came out rarely and when we all jumped in to help when a
member's sister was in a tragic accident.)

This list is a WONDERFUL place; that doesn't mean that it can't get
better.

Hmmmm, I wonder how old the FML is now?  17 years?  18?  I keep
forgetting -- senility!  LOL!  Oh, I know!  I'll call up the first one
using the SEND FERRET 0001 trick!  Here you go!  Our first date was
Date: Dec 21, 19:14 1987, so almost 17 and 1/2 years!  The list sometimes
seems like it has changed almost as much as a person in that many many
years.  Okay, not a kid person... ;-)  In just 150 issues (149 when this
appears in the FML) the FML will reach its 5,000th digest.