From:
Connie Gaddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:18:12 GMT
>From:    salmndr007 <[log in to unmask]>
>
>...     I have been working at a vet hospital in South Carolina and
>have stumbled upon a little piece of knowledge.  Ferret distemper shots
>which are not created by Ferevac (spelling?) have been causing some
>reactions in ferrets with symptoms including severe tenderness of skin
>and swelling of the face.  Here is the trick, if you have your vet
>administer a small amount of what we know as benedryl (animal grade)
>about 20 minutes before the vaccin)e it greatly reduces the chance for
>reactions.  We have had 100% success with this so far....

One of my babies, Slinky, had a severe reaction to the Fervac distemper
shot.  The next year, my vet pretreated him with a benedryl shot and
switched to the Purvac vaccine.  His reaction was much more severe than
the year before and he almost died.

Since then, I have changed vets to one that uses Galaxy D.  I know there
is a lot of debate since this vaccine is not "approved" for use in
ferrets.  However, after witnessing 2 very bad reactions to the other
two "approved" vaccines, I won't use anything but Galaxy D.

Connie
Distributor for Natural Gold Ferret Food