From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:25:43 -0500
Things got so busy that I almost forgot to tend to this!  (The good news
is that my Dad in Law is once again out of the hospital (recurrence of
his pneumonia) with oxygen and therapy.  In recent weeks among three
older relatives there have been something like 8 times in hospitals --
4 long stays and the rest kept for a day or less in emergency until
breathing could be stabilized enough.)

Anyway, Florence caught me on something in relation to melatonin so we
asked Dr. Jerry Murray about it.

He pointed out that in a University of Wisconsin study there were
ultrasound measuremnets of the adrenal glands in ferrets getting
melatonin(oral liquid melatonin at 0.5mg once a day), and there was
no significant growth over 12 months.  But it is still not known if
melatonin can reduce the size of adrenal gland growths, as it did in
several rat studies and in 1 rabbit study so there is the possibility
that it might be able to though no one knows yet.

Dr. Murray also pointed out that there are actual melatonin receptors
on the adrenal glands.