From:
Taylorclan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 18:48:15 +1000
The story of poor Ozzie and his predicament prompts me to ask for
advice... We have three fuzzies.  Pepe (from a breeder), Spike (a
rescue), and Elvis (a rehomed fellow who needed more time and space).

The problem arises with Spike who originated from a pet store who sold
him twice after being returned the first time (second time was to a 17
year old without parental permission who also didn't have a cage for
him), he was then relinquished to our local animal protection agency (we
are in Australia so there aren't ferret shelters as such locally).  He
was then taken on by a lovely local lady who tells me he was a BAD biter
when she took him on, she nip trained him.  To me he is a big softy
(although he does like my feet and can be very cheeky), he is good for my
husband, and tolerant of my daughter, but he actively seeks my son (who
is 4) out to 'nibble' him - unfortunately as forgiving as my son is, I
as his mother am really torn as to what to do - for example when the
ferret runs up to my sons room when he is asleep and starts chomping
down on him :(

Now the solution so far has been to only have out time when my son isn't
in the room (eg playing up the other end of the house, asleep up the
other end of the house, at daycare, outside playing etc..), but sometimes
ferrets slip through doors or my son, who strangely enough doesn't seem
to show fear, sneaks in or on one occasion opened the cage to let him out
(they have a multi level condo type set up).

We have no problems with the other two... I am torn as to where to go
from here.  We made a commitment to take Spike into our home and to love
and care for him, but I also have a commitment to keep my son safe and
sound and not to lead to him to develop a fear of ferrets.

Is there anything you can suggest - or is it not unusual for an animal to
develop a jelousy (or that is how it seems to me) of a particular person?
He is actually a very nice ferret, but for this one issue...

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Or should I just keep up with seperate times for him and my son?

Thanks in advance
Jane