From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:18:18 -0600
I've had ferrets for nigh on 15 years (not the *same* ferrets, you
understand) and had never even heard of these tumors until recently.

One of the ferret mags just did an article on these tumors, as well as
on mast cell tumors.  Not being a vet, I would rather not even try to
explain just what these tumors are, or what causes them.  I only thought
I would share my experience in having a ferret who had one.

I discovered a lump on the end of my Ariani's tail.  At first I thought
she had broken it and wasn't too concerned.  After reading here about
chordoas, however, I took her to the vet.

Removing it was a piece of cake.  (Of course, our vet is a surgical god).
As I said, the lump was near the tip which I've been led to believe is
good; closer to the hips is bad.

The vet put my snarling, snapping, slavering little darling under, shaved
her tail right up to where it joins her body, then snipped off the end of
her tail.  He took off just enough to make sure he got all the tumor.  He
then bandaged the whole tail and sent her home, still snarling, snapping
and slavering.  He offered us pain meds, but Ariana doesn't seem to need
them.  We sprayed bitter apple on her bandages and she's been fine.  No
signs of pain or trauma, nothing.

Since these tumors seem to be rare, I thought I would share.

anne