From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:22:40 EDT
I just wanted to express, that it was never mine nor many of the other
posters on the advertising topic suggestion to say they were offended by
ads, asking for donations, or selling.  I can't understand why, when this
has been made clear over and over again that so many misunderstand this
or want to slip these extra words in there.  It was merely said, that the
quality of the FML has decreased due to the fact of less participation
and over advertising.  There is a difference.  It was merely said, that
it would be more considerate of someone contributed to the FML by
preceeding their sale or ad with a tiny post.  Or if help is needed,
to tell the story of what the help is for, list an neat update on the
shelter, just something.  Many people already do this.  Some don't.  And
some people lurk, rather than add to the FML which makes ads and things
stand out even more than they should.

As far as skimming by posts, it was said that if you only ask for money
in some way, shape of form blatently and often enough, people will not
ever read your posts anyway and your only hurt yourself.  No one wins
there.  Not the reader, not the person needing money.  Also if lack of
participation and lack of courtesy leads to enless ads, it's a bit hard
to skim ... the bulk of the FML?  I mean come on.  You can change the
channel on the TV, yes.  Or you can watch.  But what if all the time
slots were ads, and the ad slots were the meat of programming.  Not very
fun, nor considerate.

Don't make this a bigger deal than it is in your mind.  I've seen a
dramatic change here since this discussion.  Dramatic and for the better.
Nobody ever said don't ask for help.  Do.  Nobody said don't sell stuff.
Do.  Nobody said no posts of passing.  Everyone wants to share.  But
don't "just" post ads.  Don't "just post" asking for donations.  Don't
"just" post when your wee one passes.  Preceed things with a contrabution
to the list, or just balance it out by making other posts to the list.
That's it.  No big deal.  But it's a big deal to the quality of this list
and to people who need money as well when they aren't their worst enemy.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com