From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:47:08 -0400
I am behind on the fml and have just read the post who complains about
constant shelter fundraising posts.  For me, an important part of being
a fuzzie owner and member of the ferret community is supporting ferret
shelters.  I wish I could do more.  But I am very happy when shelters
post that they are in need.  I have lists of shetlers and have intentions
of doing more on my own, but it usually takes these reminders or updates
of shelters in particular need to put me in action.  I think it's great
when they say what they need (bedding, food, funds for an improvement,
vet donations, etc) but also think it's important to know when they are
simply selling items for regular shelter needs.  Hey, we all buy things
for our ferrets, why not buy them from a shelter.  If they post, then we
know what is available from them.  There used to be an annual shelter
list that gave info for each shelter on # of ferrets, vet bills, general
needs, and wish list.  I loved having that info and always appreciated
any individual posts to stay updated on what shelters need.  Shelters
need to be able to get out their needs or they won't be able to help
ferrets.  Why begrudge them any forum, let alone this one which is for
ferrets welfare.  It only takes a second to scroll down if you're not
interested.  Frankly, I'm more annoyed by the arguing, nitpicking posts,
but whatever.

As for a rescue of 6, of course that could be a strain to a shelter.
Don't forget most shelters are run singlehandedly out of people's homes.
I couldn't take in even one more personally without it being a financial
strain.  The difference with shelters is that if there is a ferret in
need they do whatever they can to still take them in.  I sit (with just
my three) reading posts about ferrets in need of homes, and although I
yearn to give them a home, I am able to sit back and say no.  Shelters,
thank God, do not.

Risa