From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:00:22 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

I am old enough , and comfortable enough in my faith to know that
sometimes prayers are answered, but those tend to be the ones you wish
that you were never called upon to speak in the first place.

I could pray that somehow, Switch my Kit, you never got out of the Ferret
Room in the first place.  (Did I ever put you away with Lily last night,
after we took the new pictures for Ferrets Magazine?)  I could pray that
the dog that lives downstairs had never scented you.  I could pray that
I had run down the stairs even faster than I did, but I didn't.  I don't
think I could have.  I know I fought hard for you.  My fingers are cut
from the dog's teeth, and somewhere along the line I smashed my head on
something, I have no idea what.

I fought that dog hard for you , Switch.  Very hard.

And when it was over, and I had you, I prayed that you wouldn't hurt for
long, and you didn't.  That prayer was answered.  I closed your eyes, and
I wrapped you in the most beautiful piece of silver cloth.  Shiny, you
would have loved it.

I will always love you.

And soon your Daddy is coming home, and I have to tell him, and I have to
tell him that the vet called to say that she thinks that Lily, who is in
the hospital, has lymphoma.  You left us not five minutes after the call
came.

I think maybe you will be together again not too long from now,
Alexandra in MA