From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:27:21 -0500
Connie, what we did for our refrigerator was to take caging with a narrow
spacing or 1" by 1/2" (Check with cage selling places since some also
sell sections.) and worked that into place with hooks around the feet of
the fridge to allow us to remove it to clean the drip pain (Okay, "pan"
but the chore is a pain.) Maybe appliances need to have circulation in
certain areas to prevent overheating and sometimes even possible fire
hazard.

You could also consider barricading your kitchen.

Michelle and Bill wrote:
>I realize that there are 'other' types of cancer that can be in the
>adrenal glands that do not respond to the lupron, but I do not know what
>the prognosis is for those specific types of cancer post operatively.

Although most adrenal growths are not malignant (i.e. not "cancer -- Go
to the FML Archives and pull up a post of Dr. Williams' I carried over
with the title "Golden Oldie" -- the malignancies which do exist stand
their only chance of cure with surgery.  Some have EXCELLENT prognoses
after rapid surgical removal though there can be the sad exception.
Lympho is a harder situation.

Re: skunk notes:
The ONLY animals for which there is a recommended and known quarantine
times are cats, dogs, and ferrets (that is not to say that there has not
been talk at times of cases where long ones have been tried for other
animals under special conditions while the people got the shots but that
is going outside the Compendium of Animal Rabies Control and Prevention).

When enough study is done on skunks to know their viral shedding time it
could very likely be a longer quarantine time than for dogs, cats, and
ferrets because wild skunks are documented to have a potentially quite
long period of survival after rabies hits the brain.

There is no time like now for the skunk people to start the long process
(It took 10 years for ferrets.) toward having a recognized vaccine and
also knowing enough about the viral shedding period to have a quarantine
time.  If they can scare up the funds maybe they could work on both
simultaneously; there is no good reason not to do so unless finances
make it impossible.

There is NOT a USDA approved, recognized effective rabies vaccine for
skunks at this time.

Being a pet isn't enough, I'm afraid.  If it were there are hundreds of
ferrets who never would have been needlessly destroyed before the studies
had been finished.  (BTW, not all even bit anyone since there were some
ex-significant others who were documented as making false claims to hurt
their ex by causing the deaths of four footed family members.  Yes, the
work to get there resulted in some ferret deaths but they were lower
than the number of deaths in one state alone in less than a year's time.
Also, that work directly led to the end of several ferret bans.)

If that work gets done and they are legalized here we would love to have
a pet skunk in our family at some time in the future.