From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:53:50 -0600
It was asked "why is are ferrets being fed cat food".

Please excuse me, I've loaned out my "ferrets for dummies" book.  But I
seem to remember that it said to feed a good quality kitten food.  (If
I'm mis-remembering, I apologize).  Having looked at the available foods
out there for ferrets and kittens both, I've come to the conclusion that
for the AVAILABLE foods in our area kitten food provides more protein,
less carbohydrates, and better nutrition in general than the ferret
specific food.  That's not to say that if there is a better ferret
specific food available I wouldn't switch to that.  But with what's
available in my area, a mix of IAMS and MAX brand foods work well.  My
kiddo's are healthy with thick soft coats and clean healthy teeth and
gums.  I do know that feeding whole raw food is best.  But my queasy
human tummy won't work that way.  So, I hope that answers the question
about why some of us still feed kitten food.

Please, lets not let this get into WWIII.  Personal choice is a big
factor in this.  We may just have to agree to disagree and move on.

Shelley and the spoiled rotten fuzzies.  (oh, don't we just love shedding
season).