From:
Robert Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:30:16 -0500
I have a bit of a litter problem I am trying to solve with my two
ferrets.  Bear with my lead up and please offer any suggestions.

I got a 9 drawer (3 across by 3 high) dresser about 6 months ago that
my ferrets simply love to sleep in.  I leave the bottom left, the center
and the upper right drawers each open about 6".  The ferrets climb up the
dresser drawers then slip behind the top drawer to sleep in the other two
upper drawers.  I guess they like them because they are small, warm, dark
and cozy.  I have basically abandoned the top level of the dresser to the
ferrets.  They have bedding material in the two closed drawers.  It's
really nice, because I can let them free roam and I almost always know
where to find them sleeping.

Well, this is the problem -- one (or both) of them have decided that the
back right corner of the dresser is an ideal latrine.  It took them a
couple of months to do this and I didn't notice till they had used the
spot for close to a week -- meaning the wood definately has a scent of
waste to it.  I have cleaned it repeatedly, aired it out, used white
vinegar on the area, not allowed them in the dresser for a week or two,
cleaned it some more, sprayed deodorizer in that area, etc, etc.  It's
too small to hold a litter box or I would put one back there.

Well, what can I do to persuade the little poop factories not to litter
in that corner?  Everytime I clean it out, they are good for a couple
days or so but eventually I find a little present there.  I think if I
could really eliminate the odor they would abandon the spot.

What I think is happening is they wake up, start the run to the litter
box (down all three drawers and under the dresser) then when they get to
the problem area they smell that it has been used before and instinct
takes over.

If I put bedding in that area, they poop around it.

If I put food in that area, they poop around it.

If I stuff the area behind the opened drawer with bedding or plastic bags
they push the drawer out some more, then use the bathroom.

I know I can keep them out, but when I do they ask to be let up there.
They really enjoy it but I dont want to have to think about ferret waste
in my dresser.

Any suggestions?