From:
Toram Oslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:13:03 +0000
What is the best way to go ahead with ferrets in the UK

In Norway they have a breeders scheme set up so that only ferrets with a
known pedigree should be used in their breeding scheme

So how should we go in the UK should we do as some would like, have every
ferret altered so in time the ferret in the UK may well die out.

That would only would only leave the breeding of ferrets down to people
who have accidental litters from brother and sister mating.  This is
where the unscrupulous breeders say that because the ferrets are out of
the same litter they will not breed.  Hey ferrets are not humans and as
some humans do it so how can you expect ferrets not to.

Or do we go down another track and have a register of hobs with a known
back ground that can be used for breeding, all hobs and jills used on
this scheme would have to be micro chipped, plus all the kittens would
have to be micro chipped.

All breeder participating in this scheme would have to abide by a
breeders code and a couple of rules that would be at the top of the list
would be.

1] No ferrets bred under this scheme should end up in any rescue censer,
unless in the circumstance of the death or serious illness of the owner
2] Number 1 can also be covered here.  Any breeder should be willing to
take back any ferret bred by them in the situation where the new owner
can no longer look after them.

I am quite sure that other people on here could come up with more
sensible rules that could be part of a breeders constitution and I would
be interested in hearing from them.

The man with a new idea is a crank until other take it up
Mark Twain
http://www.asacp.org/ The adult site industry making the difference in the
battle against child pornography
http://www.headway.org.uk/ The brain Injury association