From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:16:03 -0500
The disease appears to clump temporally and by region, but there are NO
reported cases of multiple ferrets in any households having the disease
even though it has been around (but rare) for 2 years that those with
whom I speak regularly have reported to me by researchers or that I have
heard of.

The illnesses are in ferrets from a range of sources.  In the beginning
the cases reported were all MFs but those are also the most common
domestic ferrets in the U.S. which means that most seen would simply be
MFs from the size of that population.

The illnesses are showing up in ferrets (2 so far) who were not
vaccinated after being purchased.  At first all had been vaccinated after
purchase but there is also often a link between providing needed medical
care and vaccinating, with more people who don't vaccinate not getting
medical care so that affects numbers and had to be teased out as more
cases were reported.

Some illnesses which have been mistakenly thought to be this disease
before testing was done: sepsis from a different cause (several),
malignancy (esp. JL) (a number), meningitis (1 that I know of), or
canine distemper (1 that I know of).

Does your vet have the contact info for the research groups?  I have
privately sent on the contact info for the two research groups for your
vet's use:
Veterinary Pathologists, Dr. Bruce Williams, AFIP and Dr. Matti Kiupel
with the Michigan State vet school
 and
Dr Mark Burgess, veterinary clinician, Southwest Animal Hospital
(original contact for this team's work)
and Dr. Mike Garner, veterinary pathologist, Northwest Zoopath

There is a possible survivor (beyond just a few months) according to
the "owner", and the treating vet has promised me more info once he has
time.  I sent that contact info for your vet, too.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE DO MAKE SURE THAT SPECIMENS GET TO THE
PATHOLOGISTS WHO ARE INVESTIGATING THIS DISEASE PRESENTATION, PLEASE.
THEY NEED THE MATERIAL FOR THIER STUDIES.

Each team is using a different perspective so using both increases the
chances of eventual success.

You can find info from both teams at
http://www.miamiferret.org
though I know that some of it is due to be updated soon.

[A Later P.S.]:
Mea Culpa (Re: mystery disease post)

I accidently left Dr. Katrina Ramsell off the list of vets who are
working on the mystery disease puzzle.  Dr. Ramsell shares a practice
with Dr. Mark Burgess.  I APOLOGISE!  My error.  (We all make them, but I
know better in this case.)