From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 21:50:17 -0400
Marguerite writes
>BUT You FAILED to mention that the Ferret Store has two divisions, One
>of which is the Ferret Store, the other is an internet design firm
>called Solid Cactus.

Actually TFS and Solid Cactus are both divisions of Neeps (originally
North East Exotic Pet Supply), with other pet divisions as well.  The
second company was formed because of the success of the first, to sell
their expertise in e-tailing to others.

 From Solid Cactus' web site as an example of this expertise:
>TheFerretStore.com outgrew its original closet and now has its own
>20,000 square foot distribution center with 4800 unique SKUs and
>annual sales over $5 million.

And from NEEPS site
> Combined revenues for 2005 [for all divisions] are expected to top
>$7 million.

The Ferret Store is quite successful on its own, and that fact that new
pet divisions have been added is indicative of that success.

Marguerite also writes
>And the Ferret Depot has known about this issue alot longer then the
>Ferret Store.

The Ferret Store was made aware of our concerns on May 4th, 3 days
after the end of the Symposium.

The Ferret Depot has removed at least 8 products from their web site to
date, and they are working on their summer flyer (mailing to 30,000)
which reportedly has all sugar-based and dried fruit/veggie treats
removed.  (I have not seen this yet to verify.)

Meanwhile The Ferret Store has just posted a page on choosing healthy
foods and treats for ferrets.
http://www.ferretstore.com/healthy-choices.html

I thank them for taking this step in educating ferret owners.

I do have a couple quibbles with some of the information posted there.
In particular, they show a box of raisins with their healthy heart logo.
However there is new information showing the danger of renal failure from
ingesting as few as 8 or 9 raisins (per Dr. Thomas Kawasaki at the 2005
International Ferret Symposium in St.  Louis last month).  While the site
does recommend limiting them to 1 or 2 per day, we all know how good
ferrets are at begging, and how vulnerable we are to their cuteness!

I hope that every ferret owner who goes to their site sees this page.
Unfortunately, I know many won't as t is not very prominent unless you
are looking for it.  But it is a start down the path of protecting
ferrets from inappropriate products and getting better ones.

There is no one single way to effect change.  No single way to educate
ferret owners, no single way to protect and defend ferrets.  There are
multiple paths, and we are free to chose between them.  But in the end
we all want to get to the same place: where our ferrets are safer and
healthier and happier.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress