From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:31:19 -0700
>Do you do your own ADV testing and vaccinations or do you rely on a vet
>to do these basics?

While it is good to keep costs down running a shelter you have to
remember that some shelters choose to play it safe and have the vets do
the shots as well as the ADV Testing.  When we got the 34 ferrets in we
looked at doing the shots at home.  The distemper would be the only one
that we were approved to do at home and the cost through where we could
find, while cheaper also had a risk for us that we were not willing to
take.  If the ferret has a reaction then we would have to rush the ferret
to the vet.  However, if we have the ferrets vaccinated at the vets we
don't have to worry about it.  Some shelters do theirs at home and can
deal with the reactions right there.  however we are not able to so
decided to spend the extra money to do it the safer way FOR US (I say for
us because like I said, other shelters are able to do it at home without
a problem).  Nor would we use something that was not USDA approved.  The
ferrets still have to go in for their rabies shot so in the long run - at
least with our shelter, the savings just isn't enough for us.

Just my two cents -
Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter