From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:16:07 -0400
1. 102 is a normal ferret body temp.

2. Ferrets don't get colds.  They definitely don't get rhinovirises
and so far there aren't any of the less common causes of viral colds
in humans which they have been found to get.  They DO share some other
respiratory woes that humans have like influenza and bacterial sinus
infections.  The reasons this is important to know are because the
infection ones of those are more serious than colds, and because every
few years someone gets in touch after accidently poisoning a ferret with
an over the counter cold remedy because the vet wasn't check with first.
(You did the right thing checking with your vet so that you can avoid
mistakes like accidently giving that liver destroyer, acetaminophren
(sp?).)

Lisa, given her age, try a very gradual shift and stop when it seems
optimal.  The first thing I'd start decreasing and replacing with a
safer treat would be the raisins due to connection of raisins or grapes
with kidney failure in ferrets and dogs.  Since those have a proven and
potentially fatal consideration they come fist for reduction and then
hopefully removal.  (BTW, if you will soon be in St. Louis at the IFC
Symposium
http://www.ferretcongress.org you
will hear Dr. Tom Kawasaki address this!)

Lyme: luckily, the last I heard Lyme Disease has not been documented
in ferrets but it might still be that they can get it; that isn't known
at this time.

I am sure you were glad to hear that there is now research into tackling
the disease in its reservoir (ground nesting rodents) and that you hope
that medicating will work so that a way to reduce the prevalence will be
proven, as do I.

Typos: typos are sometimes funny, sometimes annoying.  Yesterday in
relation to some books I accidently had "not" instead of "now".  The
fingers know a more familiar letter patterns, and... So, anyway, I
was not dissing the books!