From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:42:29 -0400
Because the area of Pharmacognosy (the medicinal use of natural products)
came up recently both publicly and privately I decided to do a search
to what is on the internet now in that regard.  Certainly, for texts it
makes sense to use those which are complete enough to include cautions,
counter-indications, interactions, etc.  but I figured that perhaps there
will be some reputable on-line resources now, too, so I am searching on
pharmacognosy and then will search on "veterinary pharmacognosy" to see
what comes up.

American Society of Pharmacognosy
http://www.phcog.org/

Natural product press releases
http://www.phcog.org/News.html

ASP Newsletter Archive
http://www.phcog.org/Newsletter/Archive.html

Links to professional pharmacognosy sites around the world:
http://www.phcog.org/links.html

Journal of Natural Products
http://www.phcog.org/jnp.html
and
http://pubs.acs.org./journals/jnprdf/index.html
(Both include subscription information and the second includes an
archive, and the second also has a link to a Japanese version.
Co-published by the American Society of Pharmacognosy and the American
Chemical Society.)

American Botanical Council
http://www.herbalgram.org/
has a book catalog (with some books I am not lusting over to add to my
several older texts on the subject but can't swing getting) and they
say there is browsing at
http://www.herbalgram.org/bookcatalog/default.asp
Here is their page of links to educational materials they have written,
reviewed and checked, or published:
http://www.herbalgram.org/default.asp?c=herb_info

American Herbal Products Council
http://www.ahpa.org/

Herb Research Foundation
http://www.herbs.org/
including
http://www.herbs.org/news.htm

International Society of Chemical Ecology newsletter
http://www.chemecol.org/newsletters/vol_22_1.htm

http://www.cis.um.edu.mt/~phcy/symp/phar&vet.htm
takes a long while to come up but lists some vet pharmacognosy and vet
pharmacy projects in Malta

I seem to be finding many lists of journals (too many not linking ones)
and course descriptions like this one in vet toxicology
http://www.catalogs.umn.edu/grad/programs/g170.html

Now HERE is something SCARY; the only site I got for "Veterinary
Pharmacognosy" is a diploma mill!  Not putting that one up.

Something else SCARY searching on Veterinary Herbal: a site which
includes some approaches that can be dangerous to certain animals,
for instance using garlic for inflamed anal glands in some members of
Carnivora which can induce a fatal anemia.  Not putting that one up.

A VIN Course and its required materials:
http://www.vin.com/CE/ALTM102-0904.htm

Vet Botanical Med Assoc:
http://www.vbma.org/main%20pages/events.html

Licencing of herbal vet meds and vet herbal meds (UK):
http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/herbs-european.htm

***I recall that Mary mentioned a book on this topic in the past in the
FML and said that it also included cautions, counter-indications, etc.
It looks like that may be a person's best bet unless someone else can
find something reputable.  See the FML Archives -- addy in the headerof
each day's FML.***

IMPORTANT to remember: there are multiple plants which are endangered in
the wild due to over-harvesting for medicinal purposes.  This is nothing
new.  The first recorded plant to go extinct from human causes was a
North African plant the Romans considered to have properties for
reproductive success.  Here are two current examples.  Wild ginsengs of
several continents are in trouble from over-harvesting and there are (or
have been) projects to develop horticultural approaches, including one in
upper NY State.  I don't know how those projects turned out.  Echinacea
can be readily grown and is available from many sources, yet some places
in the plains of Montana have been largely denuded of these plants and
had a cascade effect as a result.  Try to NOT buy wild-gathered herbal
meds, please.  It is a practice which does way too much ecological damage
too often.