Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:54:44 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Gosh darn!  ::itch itch itch:: Can you believe it?  I have worms again.

Aw, Wolfy, you and your worms -and you keep giving them to me!  I could
write a book on the subject of surgery but I'll spare ya'll.

Condensed version: so much depends upon the individual ferret.  I have
had surgery on 6.5 year olds for them to live for two more years.  I've
had ferrets with complete bilaterals grow two more tumors confirmed by
pathology.  Sadly, I have lost ferrets in surgery.

Adrenal tumors literally come in all sizes, from the size of a grape
seed -or smaller- to the size of a soft ball.  No, we do not wake them
up when they are that advanced.  Their quality of life was already
questionable, and surgery was a last ditch effort.  A mercy shot may have
been kinder, but I guess I always had hope.  I have had a few miracle
babies.

I once had a ferret that we took the left out (he blocked- his only sign)
then we took the right by vena caval surgery, so he needed florinef and
pred for the rest of his life BUT still needed Lupron and melatonin to
preserve his ever dwindling coat.  The key point for this ferret; he was
not feeling well until we took that tumor out, then his last ll months he
acted like a kit.  Incidently, he had undergone a partial pancreatectomy
about 2 years earlier, and maintained good bg until his final few weeks
of life when he went into kidney failure.  For the record, it is not the
norm for surgery to 'cure' insulinoma.  He was just a very lucky ferret.

Some observations: I've had ferrets on melatonin until either I could get
them in to surgery OR I decided surgery was right for them.  With several
cases, after having them on melatonin for several months, we could not
find the gland.  hmmmmm...

I recently lost two of the above females, both having responded
beautifully to the Lupron for around a year, and melatonin implants the
last 3 months of their lives; both had hairloss/signs increase with
late/missed Lupron injections.  We could not find their adrenal tumors
at necropsy.  Incidently, one passed from lymphoma of the thymus, the
other lymphoma scattered throughout her body.

So, what's a ferret parent to do?  I think the key is prevention.  Among
other things, keep their photoperiod as close to natural lighting as
possible.  Use Melatonin as a preventative.  Use the Lupron in the spring
to shut down the 'cycle'.  There is a lot already written about this.
Personally, on the use of the melatonin implant, I feel the sooner you
use it with your ferret, the better.  Hopefully, research will not give
us any reason to believe differently.

If you already have a ferret with an adrenal problem, now what do you do?
What is it's age?  how long have you noticed signs?  how severe are the
signs?  what is their energy level?  are they exhibiting aggression or
mating behaviors or signs of difficulty urinating?  Adrenal disease
kills.  Period.  It is more than cosmetic.  You need to do 'something'!

So, to cut or not to cut... there is not a good one-size-fits-all answer
in my opinion.  Much will depend upon your ferret.  I have seen ferrets
exhibit signs for a long time wot h only a tiny tumor, while others
expire without much of an external sign from a rapidly progressing
malignant tumor.

Your decision to take your ferret to surgery is personal.  Much will
depend upon the ferret, but a lot also depends upon having a
knowledgable, affordable vet available.  Your current finances and
other family obligations come into the equation.  Personal values.
Your decision depends a lot upon you.  Does it mean you love your
ferret less if you choose medical management over surgery?  I don't
think so.  I am slower to put my older ferrets through surgery than
I was several years ago.

Historically, I have been very pro-surgery.  Whether I am right or
wrong isn't important, but we need to be able to safely ask questions
here and get answers.  Often, the more people that answer us, the better
infomation we have to guide us.  But the bottom line is respecting
personal choices and being gracious to each other.

>    :: WHACK::  Missed!

Love your ferret.
Julie

=====