From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:26:15 EST
Short answer:
Baby - escaped,
Rosie - unknown (not in my care at the time of death),
Adam and Mitzy - fire,
Snowball - unknown and old age,
Slink - hemoraged from an unknown reason,
Jubilee- JL,
Smoke - Old age,
Ping- GI problems and old age.

Long answer:
How 'bout just old age Sukie?

I know, I know, there really isn't such a thing as dying of old age from
an intellect's point of view.  But from just a more ... I don't know,
simplistic point of view there is.  If we look at any animal, they die
of "something", not old age.  This is true.  I do know this.  Even for
the human being that lasts until 125 years of age, they didn't die of old
age according to science.  No, they died of a heart attack, or cancer,
etc..  From a practical stand point of view, however ... they died of old
age!  What of the person that died at age 75 ... was that more likely a
heart condition or old age?  Were they taken care of better than the 125
year old?  Nah.  Lifespan can vary.  And we can't stop it, nor can we
harness it.

What is the lifespan of a ferret?  I think there is no narrow window of
explanation here because a ferret's lifespan varies greatly compared to
some other domestic species.  And that's okay.  It doesn't mean that the
ferret who passed away at age four didn't have parents who didn't try
hard enough or that the ferret was "faulty".  It doesn't mean that the
person who has a ferret last til age 8 did any better either.  Yet, I
think ... no I know, that many of us have trouble accepting that.  I see
it in the way we obsess over what kibble to give our little ones, how we
poop-gaze, how we love to read about health issues, and how we agonize
over what vet care is appropriate.  Of course the foundation of this
non-acceptance is our love of the animals and our passion ( and ferret
owners do seem to be more passionate than others).

Here's a Wolfy-perspective: There are many unspoken truths in the ferret
community.  We don't speak of them lest we be judged.  We don't speak of
them as they are contraversial.  We view such things as a pandora's box.
And we certainly don't want to unleash any squiggly, slippery worms on
the FML.  Well, I'm going to unleash one of these secrets.  One that
concerns the lifepan of a ferret.  We've all read about someone (or know
someone) who has had or is living with an 11 year old ferret.  At times
it feels like most of the FML ferrets are aged 8 and over.  But is this
an accurate depiction of what is "normal".  No, it is not.  Our ferrets
here do not even represent a grain of sand let alone a small sample of
the ferret population in the world.  On top of that, FML'ers are more
educated than that average ferret owner so the sample here, gets the
best of care.  Now to really slice off a huge chunk of the ferrets
represented here (which now we're down to a molecule of the worlds ferret
population), take into consideration that most often only the sucessful
or confident owners speak out on the FML about the age that they think
ferrets live until.  Most do not speak out of fear of being judged or not
being pc.  You're ferret died at age three?  Oh how tragic.  Why?  What
happened (IE, what did you do to it, or not do for it, and what extent
did you go to try to save them)?  You're ferret is nine years old?  How
nice (as if that is the norm).  I feel like it's not all that rare for a
ferret to pass away by age five.  And it's doing well to live until age
seven.  If you're ferret lives past age eight, that is very unsual if not
rare.  Ferrets that do live until age ten are rare.  If you've had more
than one ferret live until this age or later, you are extremely lucky.
And of course, no doubt there are owners who have had more than one
ferret live until this age.  But realize this is not the norm.

I've had many people tell me in privacy, in the dark corners of a room,
or in email, that the average age they see ferrets live until is around
5-7.  This includes a couple shelters and the countless emails I recieve
each day from around the world.  I think people are scared to just come
forward and say such things as:

"You know it's really something, my ferret is only 2 and they have
 adrenal."

"My ferret died from helicobactor and uclers at only age four."

"My ferret just got sick and died and it seems like the vets have no
specific answers, it was only five (or six, or seven, fill in the blank).
We think he was just old and worn down, but ... I can't say that to
anyone, ya know?"

Yes ... I do know.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com